Here are six thoughts about marriage. Please use them as conversation starters for growth and change.
- “I do” is Latin for “I agree to change.” (Humor) “I do” can also mean, I agree to work on emotional growth and self improvement.
- Marriage is where you finish growing up. You designed your emotional program as a single, young person. And, you bring the strengths and weaknesses of that program into marriage.
- Many young men think marriage is living single but together. They have little understanding of the level of sacrifice and change that is required for two unique individuals to become one.
- Here is a quote taught to counselors. “No one changes until it becomes too uncomfortable to stay the same.” Why is that? Because we love our old emotional program and it still works. And, it’s so much easier to stay the same.
- It’s amazing that we can’t see the limitations and damage being done by our own flawed behaviors. Or, if we do see it, it’s still easier to just pretend it’s not going on.
- Remember, you can’t change someone else. But, you can, in a healthy way, use every resource you have to influence their behavior.
Marriage is designed to help you develop Christ-like qualities. When it’s done right, there is no better relationship on the planet. Marriage will push you to the edge of yourself. And, there you will discover new energy, new tools, and new deeper ways of living.
A new command I give you: Love one another, As I have loved you, so you must love one another.John 13:34 (NIV)
Father, help me have your view of marriage. Help me learn, grow and be wise in this relationship. Make me be more like Chist in love and giving. I am yours. Amen